Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Stuffed Bell Peppers - Filling Our Year With Good Stuff



Last Friday, for Valentine's Day, I decided to cook instead of going out to dinner with my husband.  It took me up until the day before to figure out what I wanted to make.  I decided to make one of my favorite dishes - Stuffed Bell Peppers.  I don't follow a recipe, and every time I make it, I try different versions of it; sometimes with ground beef, and sometimes with ground turkey.  Since we've been eating much leaner lately, I opted to go with the ground turkey.  In the past, I have used rice inside the peppers and also served the peppers over rice but this time I decided against any rice inside the peppers, and served the peppers over Spanish yellow rice - Yum!!


Here's Friday's Version of Stuffed Bell Peppers:

1.  Saute sweet onion and garlic with olive oil.

2.  Add ground meat and stir over medium heat until the meat browns.

3.  Add some finely chopped parsley.

4.  Add a can of stewed tomatoes with any seasoning you like.


5.  Add some lemon juice and cooking wine like Marsala or Sherry (I used both).


6.  Add Lawry's Seasoned salt - I don't do measurements, I just taste as I go and flavor to my liking.

7.  Cut the tops off some multi-colored peppers and clean out the insides - save the tops.

8.  Fill the peppers with meat to the rim and place tops back on.  Rub a layer of olive oil on the baking dish (I used a square glass so that the peppers could be closer together and stand up better).

9.  With leftover filling, cover the bottom of the baking pan evenly to balance the peppers - standing up.  Cover with foil or a baking dish top and bake for an hour on 350 degrees.


10.  Towards the final 20 minutes of your baking time prepare any type of rice you'd like to enjoy with this dish - I did yellow rice this time, but I have served the peppers over white rice before as well.  If you do the yellow rice, be aware that some packages are pre-salted, so you may want to go light on the seasoned salt for your meat preference.  Serve with a nice glass of wine, and enjoy!! 


Let me know if you try this recipe and if you enjoyed your experience.  If you've made this type of dish before, feel free to share your favorite recipe with me.

Cheers, 
Lily



No comments:

Post a Comment