Translate

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Seaweed

My acrylic paintings are some of my earlier works from around the year 2000.  Seaweed was my first painting done with acrylics.  I started painting it during the time that I was absorbed in my doctoral comprehensive exams, back in 2002, in Music Composition and Theory.   I needed to have a creative outlet that was not the same as the one I was dealing with all day long.  The painting emotes the state of mind that I was in.  The interlocking weeds capture all of the details that I was memorizing and all of the information that was being compressed into my then very busy head.  From the beginning, I naturally liked the idea of a still image with an illusion of being in motion.


Seaweed ~ acrylics

The seaweed interlaces to form a multidimensional denseness.  Silver and copper metallics give a pop of highlight to the more muted tones of beige and lighter purples.  Dark purple gives a contrasting effect by providing a focus to the eye.  The dark purple seaweed intertwines upwards, resembling hands and fingers trying to break out of the interlocking density, unraveling from it and pulling themselves upwards and out into the light.







No comments:

Post a Comment